It’s annoying when the security officer of the airport tells to leave your personal items. Explaining that these personal care products are restricted on the board of a plane. You’re forced to remove your personal items out of your carry-on bag and leave them in the airport.
This happens for two reasons.
You either forgot which personal items are banned on board of a plane, or you didn’t know about these restrictions.
Yet, you could save your personal items if you were informed about the products banned by the U.S. Transportationi Security Administration during travel.
Knowing upfront which items and personal care products you can take with you on board might save some of them.
Find the main rules applied to the transportation of personal items on a plane.
The check-in process
While checking-in for the flight, the airline operator asks for your passport and air tickets. After that, he checks your identity in their database and asks for your luggage. Next, you need to pass over a scanner where the airport police check you for prohibited items on board of a plane.
To pass the security check your carry-on bag must correspond to certain standards of:
- Should not carry on board of the plane banned items.
Let’s take it step by step.
Types of travel bags
Bags for air plane travel are divided into two main categories depending on their weight and size:
- Carry-on bags
- Checked luggage
a) Carry-on bags
This is the type of baggage you can take with you on a board of a plane, also known as “hand baggage” or “cabin baggage”.
The carry-on bag should not exceed the following size dimensions: 22” in length, 18” in width, and depth of 10”.
On the weight, the carry-on bag should not be heavier than 22 lbs.
For more exact information on carry-on bags, check the website of your airline.
Legal dimensions for carry-on bag by American Airlines?
- United Airlines : 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels. (may not exceed 45 linear inches)
- American Airlines: 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches / 23 x 36 x 56 centimeters (including handles and wheels) (may not exceed 45 linear inches)
- Southwest Airlines: 10 inches x 16 inches x 24 inches (may not exceed 50 linear inches)
- Alaska Airlines: 24 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (61cm x 25cm x 43cm), including wheels and handles (may not exceed 51 linear inches)
- Delta Airlines: 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches (56 x 35 x 23 cm) (Carry-on bags may not exceed 45 linear inches in combined length x width x height)
- JetBlue: 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches, including wheels/handles (may not exceed 50 linear inches)
- Hawaiian Airlines: 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (may not exceed 45 linear inches) Weight limit of 25 lbs per passenger (the only airline on the list with a weight limit for carry-ons)
- Spirit Airlines: 22 inches x 18 inches x10 inches (may not exceed 50 linear inches)
- Virgin America: 24 inches x 16 inches x 10 inches (may not exceed 50 linear inches)
- Allegiant Airlines: 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches (may not exceed 45 linear inches)
- Horizon Air: 24″ inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (61cm x 25cm x 43cm), including wheels and handles (may not exceed 51 linear inches)
- Frontier Airlines: 24 inches x 16 inches x 10 inches (may not exceed 50 linear inches)
- Sun Country: 24 inches x 16 inches x 11 inches (may not exceed 51 linear inches)
If you don’t have an air plane travel luggage you can buy this stylish TSA approved carry-on luggage or shop arround the Amazon category for TSA approve luggage to find a suitable one for you.
b) Checked luggage
This is the larger and heavier type of baggage. It is handed over at the check-in desk of your airline in the airport and is then transported in the plane’s cargo area.
The average weight and dimensions by American Airlines are 62 inches for maximum dimensions and 50 lbs for maximum weight.
Additional fees apply when the checked luggage weight or size exceeds the standards.
The restricted items and personal hygiene products on plane
Check the TSA regulations regarding items and personal hygiene products on a plane in the list below.
When you plan your next travel, flight make sure to visit your airline’s website to informed about the allowed weight and size of the luggage.
This will save you time when you’ll be packing your baggage and you’ll confidently pass over the security check knowing that your luggage is legal.