Unhygienic practices or the absence of personal hygiene affects the quality of your life. This results in diseases that puts a financial and health burden on you, which increases the risk of personal safety in life.
Why do some people maintain their hygiene so easy while others struggle to maintain theirs?
Sometimes, the generic advice to wash hands or to shower more often simply doesn’t work or certain factors in your life are de-motivating you to follow good hygiene practices.
It feels like, you know how to do it but you don’t have the necessary resources for a proper personal hygiene maintenance.
The secret is that the existence of certain factors in life contributes to maintaining good hygiene and the lack of these factors de-motivate following good hygiene practices.
You may ask, which are these factors that promote personal hygiene?
See below a list of factors that contribute to maintaining personal hygiene more easily.
Factors that motivate to adopt safe and hygienic practices
1. The cultural factors
- Safe, acceptable and affordable sanitation technologies and flexible systems that respect your values, perceptions, practices, which, at the same time, appreciate your resources and physical environment.
- The existence of awareness programs that take into consideration your values, culture and beliefs, indigenous knowledge and experience.
- The hygiene programs should address the distorted myths, attitudes, beliefs and perceptions.
- You don't hear disapproval when your hygienic practice differs from the hygiene of others.
2. The institutional factors
- Quality coordination, networking and partnership among stakeholders in sanitation.
- Local authorities should provide sanitation resources, integrate them, utilize them, account and supply new and more resources.
- Institutions use modern channels of communication to reach you.
- The used systems to make people adopt safe hygienic practices should be easily manageable and shouldn’t make excessive demands on your time or resources.
3. The economic factors
- The availability of income to support a good quality of life.
- If your income is low, affordable sanitation products and services.
- Demotivating factors:
- Low incomes.
- Poor living conditions.
- Lack of recreational facilities.
- Demotivating factors:
4. The environmental factors
- Infrastructural development (e.g. well-built houses with electricity).
- Access to water supply sources.
- Access to excreta disposal sources.
- Sanitation technologies must maintain the integrity of the natural environment. It must not contribute to the contamination of water resources or the creation of health hazards.
5. The psycho-social factors
- Improvement of living standards.
- Availability of basic needs.
- Poverty alleviation and community participation in sanitation programs.
- Political commitment from the top and at all levels.
- Sanitation technologies must support human dignity in all interventions because sanitation is not only about health. It is also about improving the morale and dignity of the people.
- De-motivating factors towards the adoption of safe hygienic practices are:
- Lack of political will.
- Lack of local support for sanitation programs.
- Low prestige and recognition for sanitation.
6. The educational factors
- Social mobilization.
- Access to information.
- information exchange.
- Certain cultural beliefs concerning hygiene, fears and perceptions would have to be changed through raising awareness and education.
- De-motivating factors for adoption of safe hygienic practices:
- Ineffective promotion and low public awareness.
- Ignorance of people.
- Lack of capacity building.
- Lack of hygiene education and training.
- Negligence of people.
Invest in improving the quality of your life
Good personal hygiene is not only maintaining the sanitation of your body and of your environment. It's also about improving the quality of your life in many aspects of life.
You need to see and understand the big picture, from the meaning and importance of personal hygiene to different factors that influence the adoption of hygienic practices. You need to clearly understand what demotivates you to follow good hygiene practices.
If you don’t understand yet what is the meaning and importance of personal hygiene, I recommend you to read more information on this topic.
When you consider to improve your personal hygiene think also about improving your quality of life as well. Improve your financial situation, education, environment, etc.
Improving these factors in life will promote your willingness to adopt hygienic practices in your life while on the other side bad quality of life creates a lot of demotivators for hygiene.