In Christianity, the body is defined as the temple of the Lord. In other religions, the body is considered as a sacred vessel which needs to be well taken care of.
Despite this religious aspect, there are several other reasons why maintaining a certain level of personal hygiene is essential. It improves your self-image, maintains your health, and makes you more attractive, etc.
On the other side of the coin, the negative effects of poor personal hygiene may affect important aspects of your life.
That’s why poor personal hygiene negatively affects your health, personal presentation, and social life.
What is bad personal hygiene?
Bad personal hygiene speaks about your ignorance of the basic personal hygiene and grooming habits.
As a result, your physical appearance becomes unattractive and unhealthy. This affects your personal life, as well as, the way other people perceive you.
The worst is that people with poor personal hygiene don’t understand the long-term negative consequence it may have in their lives. They don’t realize that their bad body odor embarrasses other people around them or that they may spread infectious diseases to others. They are unwilling to make their environment a comfortable and safe place for their family, friends, and colleagues.
The problem is that this kind of mindset also reflects in other areas of their lives.
The Negative effects of poor personal hygiene on:
1. Personal presentation
Poor personal hygiene affects your personal presentation. It hurts your self-esteem and confidence.
Without these personality characteristics, it’s hard to attract opportunities, interesting people, and success in your life.
Let’s see how it affects your career growth, for example.
A good career is a good reason to work hard.
So, you meet the deadlines, complete all the tasks on time, suggest brilliant ideas, but for some reason, you are still not promoted.
This means that poor personal hygiene gives an employer additional reasons not to promote you. Let’s have a look at some of these reasons:
- jokes about your bad hygiene will spread throughout the office which will damage your reputation in the eyes of your co-workers;
- your poor personal hygiene is a sign of lack of self-esteem and confidence;
- the employer cares for his personal hygiene and expects the same from his administration team;
- poor personal hygiene hurts your professional presentation which leaves a negative first impression on a client, customer, or investor;
As you see, there are plenty of reasons why poor personal hygiene may hurt your career growth. That way it affects your social life as well.
2. Social life
Having a healthy social life allows you to interact with people without having them feel embarrassed in your presence.
Bad personal hygiene creates plenty of barriers in your social life.
You may ask, how your poor hygiene affects other people so that they don’t spend time with you?
Unfortunately, few people have the courage to tell you that your personal hygiene issues are disturbing them. For them, it’s an intimate topic to address.
That’s why it’s expected of you to understand that:
- Your bad breath may hurt your chances of building a romantic relationship or simply have a comfortable conversation with an interesting person;
- Your bad body odor makes other’s eyes watering or even make them gag;
- When your hands are dirty and a black layer of mud shows up under your fingernails people are naturally stepping back to avoid shaking your hand;
- If you wear dirty and stained clothes that make your look unattractive or unprofessional;
Poor personal hygiene creates lots of barriers of this kind which affects your social life.
Having poor personal hygiene people perceive you as a person with weak health and as a source of infectious diseases. They may consider that being in your environment is unhealthy for them.
3. On Health
Good personal hygiene habits maintain your body clean and hygienic by keeping away harmful microorganisms away which prevents the weakening of your health.
On the other hand.
Poor hygiene allows these harmful microorganisms easier access your body. As a result, these tiny microorganisms affect your health and wellbeing.
Here are a few ways how poor personal hygiene affects your health:
- if you don’t brush your teeth on a regular basis you may develop teeth discoloration, gum diseases, and carries;
- not brushing the white coating off your tongue may cause bad breath out of your mouth and, secondly, the toxins from your tongue are reabsorbed back into the digestive system;
- if you don’t shower, sweat accumulates on the skin which can develop allergies or other skin diseases.
Good hygiene, or personal cleanliness, not only helps maintain a healthy person but is important in preventing the spread of infections and disease.
The disadvantages of bad personal hygiene in your life
The consequences of improper hygiene affect many aspects of your life. Your physical appearance worsens, colleagues and friends avoid your presence in their social circles, and your health weakens due to lack of personal care.
If you don’t maintain good personal hygiene you’ll have a hard time building a family or getting a promotion at work.
In the end, you’ll find yourself living a lonely life.