Are you looking for ways to use baking soda to get rid of bad breath naturally?
You’ve probably heard that many people use it to whiten their teeth successfully and you wonder if it can also help to improve the freshness of your breath.
What if I told you that, using baking soda, as a complementary remedy to your basic oral hygiene, is a great idea because it can be used with so many ingredients.
Baking soda is a great solution to fight bacteria and improve the cleanliness in your mouth.
Let me show you how.
Can baking soda kill bad breath bacteria?
First, baking soda has antimicrobial properties that make it an effective killer of bad breath bacteria in the mouth.
Secondly, it is alkaline. This means that it increases the pH level in your mouth and creates an unfriendly and clean environment for bad breath bacteria growth in your mouth.
8 baking soda home remedies for bad breath
How to clean your tongue with baking soda?
The bacteria on the tongue may be one of the reasons for bad breath.
You can use baking soda to scrape off the white coating from the surface of the tongue.
Soak your brush in water and put a pinch of baking soda on it. Then, brush your tongue gently from the of the through to the front of the tongue.
After you finished brushing, rinse your mouth with pure water. Repeat the procedure a couple more time for effective tongue cleaning.
By the end, your tongue should have a healthy pink color.
How to make a baking soda homemade toothpaste?
The basic oral hygiene rule is to brush your teeth at least twice a day.
That ensures that you maintain your teeth clean at night and in the morning.
But you can improve the cleanliness effect in your mouth after brushing by adding baking soda to your toothpaste or make one.
1. Baking soda with toothpaste
Use a toothbrush that freshens up your breath.
Adding baking soda to your toothpaste improves the cleanliness and freshness of your mouth.
This fights cavities and plaque formation, which prevents bad breath.
1. Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the usual amount of toothpaste you generally use for brushing.
2. Mix it until it becomes a thick paste.
3. Use this solution to brush your teeth.
4. After you're done wash your mouth with pure water.
2. Baking soda with coconut oil
The coconut oil has antibacterial properties and brushing your teeth together with baking soda wipes away the bacteria that causes bad breath in the mouth. The cleanliness this remedy provides your mouth with prevents tooth decay and cavities and eliminates plaque from teeth effectively.
Using extra-virgin coconut oil for your mouth cleaning leaves a pleasant taste inside it.
1. 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
2. 3 teaspoons of baking soda.
3. Mix it well until you receive a thick paste.
4. Use the solution to brush your teeth.
5. When done wash your mouth with pure water.
Baking soda homemade mouthwash recipes
If you want a more potent solution using baking soda, you can make your homemade mouthwashes combining it with apple cider vinegar, peroxide, lemon, peppermint oil, etc.
However, considering the acidity level in most of the ingredients below, make sure to take small sips of the prepared solution and swish it for 10-15 seconds and spit it out.
How often can you rinse your mouth with baking soda will depend on the acidity level of the ingredients you use in your mouthwash.
To keep your teeth and gums safe, you can use baking soda and water, for example, a couple of times per day. Adjust the frequency of use from here.
Also, make sure to check the benefits and side effects of bicarbonate of soda for bad breath.
3. Baking soda with water
Water is the basic solution you need to make a baking soda mouthwash for yourself.
Swishing with water and baking soda cleans your mouth of bacteria and balances the acidic level inside your mouth.
1. Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda powder.
2. A glass of warm water.
3. Mix it well so that the powder dissolves in the water.
4. When done wash your mouth with pure water.
4. Baking soda and sea salt
Salt has mild antiseptic properties, which helps to kill bad breath bacteria.
It also prevents the buildup of plaque where and balances the acidic level creating in the mouth creating an unfriendly environment for bacteria growth.
1. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
3. A glass of warm water.
4. Mix the ingredients until they are dissolved well.
5. After that, swish the solution in the mouth.
5. Baking soda with peppermint oil
Essential oils have strong antiseptic and antibacterial properties. And using in making a mouthwash together with baking soda is a good way to fight bad breath.
It removes the bacteria and refreshes your mouth.
1. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda powder into an empty glass.
2. Add 3 drops of essential oils to it.
3. Fill the glass with water and mix it well.
4. After a couple of rinses wash your mouth with pure water.
6. Baking soda with lemon
Lemon contains citric acid, which contains antibacterial properties that helps fighting bacteria in the mouth.
However, don't let it sit too long on your teeth to prevent erosion.
1. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda powder in an empty glass.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
3. Fill the glass with water and mix it well.
7. Baking soda with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is slightly acidic which makes it a good bad bacteria remover from the mouth.
Adding apple cider vinegar to your mouthwash you ensure to clean your mouth thoroughly.
1. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda powder to a glass of water.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
3. Mix it well.
4. Use the solution to gargle.
5. When you're done, wash your mouth with pure water.
8. Baking soda and per
The peroxide effectively fights bad breath bacteria. It destroys their cell walls, which means it kills bacteria rather than just covering the odor.
The solution may burn your gums, so make sure to dilute the solution with water.
Use this solution 1-2 times per week to allow your gums sufficient time to rest before applying another solution of hydrogen peroxide.
1. Add 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda to an empty glass.
2. Add 1,5 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide.
3. Fill the glass with water and mix the solution.
4. Take 3-4 15 seconds rinses and spit the solution out.
5. After you're done, wash your mouth with pure water.
Using baking soda to get rid of bad breath is a safe solution for your teeth and gum's health.
Just be aware that baking soda is a little abrasive, so you need to use it gently while brushing or use it in short periods of time during swishing it in the mouth.
If it burns your gums, dilute it with more water or decrease the frequency of the mouthwash use.